2901 West Coast Highway Suite 200
Newport Beach | California | 92663-4023
949.478.1623 office | 888.667.6038 fax
Devin R. Lucas
Devin Lucas is a Real Estate Attorney, Real Estate Broker and REALTOR® assisting individuals, Trustees and investors in all forms of residential real estate transactions and related services in Newport Beach, Costa Mesa and throughout various California communities (covid and zoom has expanded his clientele further than ever before). Mr. Lucas has broad experience representing a wide range of clientele from seasoned investors, to first time buyers and sellers, to families, Trustees, executives, celebrities and other high-profile figures.
Mr. Lucas is an expert in family real estate transfers, sales, gifting and property tax considerations, including Proposition 19 (and former Propositions 58 and 193), and assists with intrafamily real estate matters daily.
Mr. Lucas has been involved in countless real estate transactions over the past nearly 20 years in some form or another: assisting clients with sales, purchases and lease agreements, to facilitating estate and trustee transfers and sales, to document review and drafting, consultations and advice throughout all stages of the real estate process, buy out agreements, LLC formations and management, counsel to real estate brokerages, mediating all forms of real estate disputes, and, in previous employment as a real estate litigation attorney, handling countless real estate lawsuits, with frequent court hearings, mediations (as counsel), depositions, and multiple cases through jury trials and appeals.
Mr. Lucas is a past Director of the California Association of REALTORS®, a past Director of the Newport Beach Association of REALTORS®, Chair of the Newport Beach Association of REALTORS® Professional Standards Committee, member of the Newport Beach Association of REALTORS® Grievance Committee, an active and past member of multiple local and statewide REALTOR® committees, 2020 Chair of the Orange County Bar Association’s Real Estate Section, active member of the Executive Committee of the Orange County Bar Association’s Real Estate Section, the 2017 Chair of the Orange County Bar Association’s Solo and Small Firm Section, named “2014 REALTOR® of the Year” by the Newport Beach Association of REALTORS®, and on the panel of mediators available via the CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® Real Estate Mediation Center for Consumers.
Mr. Lucas’ goal is to exceed client expectations and provide the type of broad guidance and planning that comes with real estate transactions, often the largest financial transaction an individual will undertake, and should, frankly, involve legal and tax knowledge. Mr. Lucas’ functioning as a real estate attorney and real estate broker allows his clients an edge, including complex purchase agreements with out-of-the-box strategies, confidentiality provisions, LLC formations to ensure privacy for owners seeking the same, liability protection mechanisms, and other forms of strategic planning.
When not assisting clients with real estate matters, Mr. Lucas spends as much time as possible with his family, including his two young daughters, with frequent bike rides to get ice cream on Balboa Island, trips to Yosemite, camping under the stars, hiking locally and afar, teaching the whole family how to ski, and active involvement in the Newport-Mesa community and schools, including leading the annual PFO “walk to school” and “bike to school” events. Mr. Lucas is a cyclist in his personal time, frequenting the back bay as often as possible, as well as hiking, skiing (winter) and kayaking (summer) for the ideal combination of exercise and time away from the office.
Professional Affiliations, Community and Education:
- California State Bar | License No. 235891
- California Bureau of Real Estate | Broker License No. 01912302
- Orange County Bar Association | Prior Chair of the Real Estate Section; Executive Committee Member of the Real Estate Section; Prior Chair of the Solo and Small Firm Section; Frequent Presenter on Real Estate legal issues and updates
- Newport Beach Association of REALTORS® | Past Director; Current and Past Chair of the Professional Standards Committee; Standing Professional Standards Member; Standing Grievance Committee Member; Standing Political and Governmental Affairs Committee Member; Past Young Professionals Committee Member; Awarded as the “REALTOR® of the Year” in 2014; Frequent Presenter on Real Estate legal issues and updates
- California Association of REALTORS® | Past Director; Past Professional Standards Committee Member; Past Transaction & Regulatory Committee Member; Standing Ombudsman; Standing Mediator
- National Association of REALTORS® | Broker Member; Broker Involvement Program, Member and Participant; REALTOR® Party, Member and Participant
- California Fair Housing Foundation | Property Management Training Certified
- Pepperdine University | Mediation Training, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, “Mediating the Litigated Case”
- Chapman University | Undergraduate degree, Alumni Association Member
- Whittier Law School | Juris Doctorate degree, Alumni Association Member
- Community Neighborhood Watch | Founder of Local Watch Program in association with CMPD
Practice Areas / Services:
- Real Estate Sales
- Real Estate Purchases
- Family Transactions / Propositions 19, 58 and 193 (i.e. selling or gifting to children, grandchildren, etc.)
- Trust, Estate and Probate Sales
- Trust and Estate Administration and Management as to Sale of Real Property
- Private Party Transactions and For Sale By Owner Assistance
- 1031 Exchanges
- Document Review and Revision (i.e. purchase agreements, ownership agreements, buy-out agreements, joint venture agreements, lease agreements, option agreements, etc.)
- Formation of LLC(s) to Hold and Manage Real Estate
- Deeds of Trust, Promissory Notes and Other Investor, Seller or Family Financing
- Property Management
- Landlord – Tenant Matters
- Legal Consultation Services
- Dispute Resolution and Mediation
Mediation / Dispute Resolution / ADR Services:
Mr. Lucas is frequently retained to serve as a Mediator for voluntary dispute resolution – often required pursuant to purchase and lease agreements prior to filing suit. Mr. Lucas’ extensive legal background and active work in real estate sales and leasing provides a unique ability to work with parties in all forms of discord – from return of initial down payment money or security deposits, cancelation disputes, to specific performance claims on multi-million dollar estates to non-disclosure and fraud claims – and the myriad of other unfortunate events that frequently lend to costly litigation. Mr. Lucas is on the panel of mediators via the California Association of REALTORS® Real Estate Mediation Center for Consumers.
Lucas Real Estate | Real Estate Agents, Transactions & Dispute Resolution | Devin Lucas, licensed Real Estate Attorney, Real Estate Broker and REALTOR®